Friday, September 20, 2013

How did you became a techwomen candidate?

I've been a part a the tech world for many years already, studied mathematics during high school, electronics in college and telecommunication as a career path.
I heard about techwomen program from my best friend, she had been selected for the first session, but because of a career change she could not continue the program. But she convinced me to apply this year, saying that the worst thing that can happen is not to be selected but in the same time I will experience an interview, and have the opportunity to sell my profile.

After applying, I've been very nervous, because for many weeks no answer, no news, until I received the email inviting me to the embassy for an interview. On that time I was out of the country, so I had to make a call conference interview. The duration was 6 minutes, 6 minutes to convince a committee or a group of ladies that I deserve this chance, and I'm an interesting person.

After the call, I could not remember any of my answers, but being overbooked, I just move on. And big surprise I'm selected, I was not expecting it.
And then I started thinking, am I a techwomen ? Am I a person that can bring something new in the women tech field?

I've always tried to be a role model to my students, my colleagues or members of my family.
After being selected, I started doing some advertisement for the program, I felt having a message to share, tech world is not only for men, tech world is the best path for a lady.
Most of the time, girls, ladies are surprised with this idea, but now it's an emerging one...so it's a good beginning .

I hope from this trip to get more confidence facing new challenges. Build a networking environment, and learn some new technical and business skills.

New adventure, new hope and a new beginning.

San Francisco here I come!!


No comments:

Post a Comment