Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Mzansi Salsa Festival Cape town 2015

First time ever, flying to attend a dance festival, I would never have imagined I was able to do it, going all the way down to Cape Town for a weekend of crazy dancing and amazing learning.

Going back to the mother city, I felt naturally home, even though the weather was pretty cold for the first couple of days but the city with its environment and awesome energy made it special.
On the sun-kissed salsa afternoon, I felt shy to ask people dancing with me, I felt a little nervous around all these amazing artists and dancers, it was difficult for me to be there and feeling so lonely, I had that feeling during all the weekend, as comfortable I was in china or Algeria, asking guys to dance with me , this time it was a bit different I felt that my level was not good enough to do that.
I still managed to have two dances, thanks to Samson for giving me that opportunity and another guy that I don’t recall the name.
On the first party, it was crazy good feeling, I was surrounded with my BailaAfrika family and I was ready to kill the dancefloor, between a salsa dance with The great Osbanis another one with Freedom or a Kizomba with Edd, I loved it, still was not able to ask many people to dance with me, I was watching a lot and trying to learn and enjoy the music.
Workshops!!! Oh my goodness, so many choices, so many classes and I was not really sure which one I have to select, knowing my self, I like to have fun and enjoy every second, so I decided to go for Kizomba, Salsa Cubana mainly but I added few footwork , lady styling or Kuduro.
I needed to learn more, I needed to improve the little that I knew, I enjoyed every Kizomba class from all level to intermediate, with ou without tarraxicha, classical or somehow urban,  for every move and with different partners I tried to relax, I tried to lose control and just follow, obviously , having fun and smiling was already there.
During the salsa cubana, I loved the energy of Osbani and Annetha , they represent exactly what I love about dancing, natural, sensual, energetic, happiness, and joy, after their workshop I just want to go to cuba!!! I want to experience that feeling of dancing with the heart and full understanding of the music.
African outfit night, I regretted not bringing my Ethiopian or Namibian outfits, people were awesomely shining super-duper dancers, I was amazed by the effort of everyone showing amazing African prints, the room was colorful and pretty warm.
The salsa room was fully packed the kizomba/bachata was pretty busy as well, but once again I found it little difficult to be invited for a dance, I ended up going to the hotel around 3 am because I couldn’t stand up anymore.
Second workshop day was full of energy, from kudur to hiphop, from kizomba to salsa cubana or musicality, I loved every second of it. The day went well because I was able to do my TaiChi exercise early morning in the park between the hotel and the river club, it’s important to take control of my breathing and internal energy before to do anything.
Last Party , white party, it’s true that white color brings more chic and glamorous feeling in a room, it was the opportunity to dance with the teachers, and kill my feet till the morning, which I did.
I went asking every possible person to dance , luckily I had a couple of people that never said no to me, and were there to make me feel special.
I will always feel thankful for all the dances I had.
This festival was a wonderful experience, being in a place where everyone wants to have fun, enjoy life and just be part of a big and international community.

Cape Town you have always been amazing to me… I will be back!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment