Saturday, November 2, 2013

Pitch or not to pitch that's the question

Before to come to San Francisco I did not hear the word pitch and did not have any idea about it.
I attended one pitch session at Oakland hub, where some EL and professional came talking about their  projects, presenting the business plan and looking for the best way to convince investor to put money on their projects.
Brian, the trainer was quite young but impressive in his way of giving feedback. He was able to mention the missing points and provide the accurate advice for the different pitcher, all this has been done after a first session of theory learning abt pitching.

The day after we went to the pitch mixer, oh God, how to describe this, if the previous one was more cozy and friendly, that one we could feel it more professional, people came to share their pitching experience, and VCs were there to give advices for free, to every beginner. How can you describe your dream project in 10 min. Talking abt business plan, what have been done by others, and how long you need to finish it.
One lady from our team was just amazing, it might have been her first pitch but she did it like so naturally, and am sure gutsy will have a great future in SA even over the world. I was feeling inspired by her courage to just go for it, and proud of her.

This was one of those event you want to re-live many time, I had fun, I've been at the entrance welcoming people, letting them put heir name and contact, I've been taking pictures around and trying to be as helpful as possible.
At the end when the VCs went for decision time, everybody was introducing them self,I was waiting for my turn, then they just skipped me , I don't know how, I still don't realize, but I stood up and asked Kalima the host of the event, what about me?, everybody laughed but I had the chance to saymy name , introduce my self and say that my passions are technology, languages, life and ETHIOPIA. It did surprised everyone, but what the hell, this is who I am.
Djamila Selamawit Umutoni

So now am considering going for my pitch, it might be my project or any other action, I for sure need to prepare for it
Yes I Can.

No comments:

Post a Comment